- Information online at the American Nurses' Association website.
- NursingWorld | OJIN: Role Redesign: What Has It Accomplished?
- Kerfoot, Karlene M., PhD, RN, CNAA, FAAN (December 22, 1997). Role Redesign: What Has It Accomplished? Online Journal of Issues in Nursing Available www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/ANAMarketplace/ANAPeriodicals/OJIN/TableofContents/Vol21997/No4Dec97/RoleRedesign.aspx
- NursingWorld | OJIN: Licensure, Certification, and Accreditation
- Barnum, Barbara Stevens, RN, PhD, FAAN (August 13, 1997). Licensure, Certification, and Accreditation Online Journal of Issues in Nursing Available www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/ANAMarketplace/ANAPeriodicals/OJIN/TableofContents/Vol21997/No3Aug97/LicensureCertificationandAccreditation.aspx
- NursingWorld | OJIN: Links to Related Sources
- See related links on accreditation, advance practice, and who does what in health care. Available http://www.nursingworld.org/ojin/admin/links.htm
- NursingWorld | American Nurses Credentialing Center: main page (Version 2.0)
- Websites at ANA that relate to accreditation for continuing education and certification. Available http://www.nursingworld.org/ancc
- NursingWorld | Reading Room: Position Statement: The Right to Accept or Reject an Assignment
- ANA Position Statement, The Right to Accept or Reject an Assignment. Available http://www.nursingworld.org/readroom/position/workplac/wkassign.htm
- NursingWorld | TAN March/April '99: Three state nursing boards examine continued competency
- Green, Alexia, PhD, RN, and Ogden, Benni S, MSE, RN (March/April, 1999) Three state nursing boards examine continued competency. The American Nurse. Vol 31. No 2. Available http://www.nursingworld.org/tan/99marapr/competen.htm
- NursingWorld | The American Nurse: March/April 1999
- Trossman, Susan RN (March/April, 1999) The professional portfolio: Documenting who you are, what you do The American Nurse. Volume 31, No. 2. Available http://www.nursingworld.org/tan/99marapr/index.htm
- NursingWorld | TAN Jan./Feb. '99: Kaleidoscope
- Should registered nurses have to periodically take an exam to be relicensed as proof of their continued competence? (Jan/Feb 1999) The American Nurse. In Kaleidoscope.
- NursingWorld | Legislative Branch: State Government Relations: '99 State Legislative Trends & Analysis
- State Legislative Trends Report. Scroll down to see topics related to competence and licensure.
- Nursing World | ANA Policy Paper: ANA Response to Pew Commission Report
- ANA Response to Pew Commission Report. Following is the text of the American Nurses Association's official response to the Pew Taskforce Report on Health Care Workforce Regulation. The ANA's response was submitted on December 5, 1996. That Pew Taskforce report, Reforming Health Care Workforce Regulation, had been issued by the Pew Taskforce in late 1995. Formal responses were solicited and will serve as the basis for a revised report to be issued in 1997.
- NursingWorld | Reading Room: Position Statement Index
- Scroll down list for position statements on Unlicensed Assistive Personnel. Available http://www.nursingworld.org/readroom/position/index.htm#uap
- Websites generated by groups who regulate nursing competence
- How Does the Interstate Compact for Mutual Recognition Work? - Issues, Volume 19 Number 2 1998
- NCSB. How Does the Interstate Compact for Mutual Recognition Work? Issues, Volume 19 Number 2 1998. Available http://www.ncsbn.org/files/publications/issues/vol192/compact192.asp
- PN/VN Competencies - National Council Delegate Assembly Report, 1989
- PN/VN Competencies. National Council Delegate Assembly Report, 1989 Available
- Nursing Competence: The Kentucky Perspective - Issues, Volume 19 Number 2 1998
- McGuire, C. MS, RN; Stanhope, M. DSN, RN, FAAN, C ; Weisenbeck, S. MS, RN, (1998) Nursing Competence: The Kentucky Perspective Issues, Volume 19 Number 2 1998 Available http://www.ncsbn.org/files/publications/issues/vol192/compky192.asp
- President's Message - Issues, Volume 20 Number 2 1999
- Ridenour, Joey. MNA, RN President's Message Issues, Volume 20 Number 2 1999 Available http://www.ncsbn.org/files/publications/issues/vol202/presmess202.asp
- Nebraska Strategic Plan - Issues, Volume 20 Number 2 1999
- Nebraska Strategic Plan. Issues, Volume 20 Number 2 1999 Available http://www.ncsbn.org/files/publications/issues/vol202/strategy202.asp
- Chair's Forum - Insight, Volume 5 Number 1 1996
- Lyons, Cindy M. BSN, RN. Chair's Forum, Insight: Volume 5 Number 1 1996. Available http://www.ncsbn.org/files/publications/insight/vol51/chair51.asp
- Publications: Papers, Reports and Surveys
- Scroll down for work on continued competence Available http://www.ncsbn.org/files/publications/papers.asp
- Reforming Health Care Workforce Regulation: Policy Considerations for the 21st Century - National Council Position Paper, 1996
- Response to Pew recommendation 3. Reforming Health Care Workforce Regulation Policy Considerations for the 21st Century National Council Position Paper, 1996. Available http://www.ncsbn.org/files/publications/positions/pewresponse.asp#pewthree
- Interprofessional Workgroup on Health Professions Regulation
- News Releases related to Interprofessional Workgroup on Health Professions: Continued Competency Summit Draws 200 (7/97). Interprofessional Group Makes Recommendations for Health Care Regulatory Effectiveness (1/97). Views on the Licensure and Regulation of Health Care Professionals (11/96). Available http://www.ncsbn.org/iwhpr.html
- AACN - Joint Position Statement on Nursing Administration Education
- Joint Position Statement on Nursing Administration Education. American Association of Colleges of Nursing
American Organization of Nurse Executives Supplement to The Essentials of Master's Education for Advanced Practice Nursing. Available http://www.aacn.nche.edu/Publications/positions/nae.htm
- AACN - A Vision of Baccalaureate and Graduate Nursing Education: The Next Decade
- A Vision of Baccalaureate and Graduate Nursing Education: The Next Decade, Executive Summary Available http://www.aacn.nche.edu/Publications/positions/vision.htm
- AACN - The Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing as Minimal Preparation for Professional Practice
- The Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing as Minimal Preparation for Professional Practice. Position Statement Available. http://www.aacn.nche.edu/Publications/positions/baccmin.htm
- AACN - Certification and Regulation of Advanced Practice Nurses
- Certification and Regulation of Advanced Practice Nurses. Position Statement.
- New Initiative by NLN Council to Delineate AD Competencies
- Request for input on New Initiative by NLN Council to Delineate AD Competencies Available http://www.nln.org/cadpini.htm
- NLN Councils
- Update on Council of Associate Degree Programs Task Force Report (CADP) Task Force Report due to be published, Fall 1999.
- National League for Nursing: Delphi Survey of Nursing Faculty
- National League for Nursing Delphi Survey of Nursing Faculty. Round Three. Overview of "a Delphi Survey of Nursing Faculty to discover the areas of expertise essential for educators and determine the information and support necessary for faculty to be effective teachers." Available http://www.nln.org/survey_delphi.htm
- The United Kingdom Central Council For Nursing Midwifery and Health Visiting
- Scroll down on left side of screen for practice, competence, and regulation issues in the United Kingdom. Available http://www.ukcc.org.uk/
- Irish Nursing Board, An Bord Altranais
- Scroll down on left side of screen for practice, competence, and regulation issues in the Republic of Ireland, Available
- Canadian Standards of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing Practice (2nd Ed.)
- "The Canadian Standards of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing Practice were prepared by the Standards Committee of the Canadian Federation of the Mental Health Nurses, an Associate Member of the Canadian Nurses Association." Available http://www.delmarnursing.com/frisch/canadian_standards.html
- NONPF - Evaluation Criteria
- Criteria for Evaluation of Nurse Practitioner Programs. National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties Available
- Nursing Practice Nurse Alert- COMPETENCY VALIDATION
- "Competency validation is a new requirement under Title 22. One of the functions of the California Code of Regulations, Title 22 is to set minimum requirements for how acute care hospitals are administered, staffed and equipped. "
- TITLE 22 - 1996 REVISIONS TO NURSING SERVICES REGULATIONS
- Cal Nurse, Web edition. Provides overview of Title 22.
- Continuing Competency Assessment
- Continuing Competency Assessment (CCA) Program of the American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM). "Established February 1986, in response to a request from the membership, the CCA Program is a comprehensive educational program developed to provide Certified Nurse-Midwives (CNMs) with an opportunity to demonstrate competency in the provision of health care to women, newborns and their families. Available http://www.midwife.org/prof/ccabroch.htm#top
National Council of State Boards of Nursing
American Association of College of Nurses
National League of Nursing
- State Boards of Nursing
- State Boards of Nursing. From the National Council of State Boards of Nursing Available http://www.ncsbn.org/files/otherweb/fedstatelinks.asp
- Federal Credentialing Program
- Initiative to streamline health care credentialing.
- Competency Validation Program Policy
- "POLICY: Competency Validation Program
All Nursing Department employees will complete the appropriate Clinical Center, Nursing Department and Program of Care competencies prior to independently providing direct patient care. Annual revalidation of competencies will be documented via the Employee Performance Enhancement Program (EPEP). The attached documents comprise the Competency Validation Program: PURPOSE: To ensure that all Nursing Department employees are competent in providing direct patient care." Available http://www.cc.nih.gov/nursing/compvald.html
- Resources for health care that provide assistance and information on health care issues
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of health care Organizations
- Webpage on Performance Evaluation. "The mission of the Joint Commission on Accreditation of health care Organizations is to improve the quality of care provided to the public through the provision of health care accreditation and related services that support performance improvement in health care organizations." Available http://www.jcaho.org/perfmeas_frm.html
- NOCA - National Organization for Competency Assurance - Main Page
- "Established in 1977, the National Organization for Competency Assurance (NOCA) is the leader in setting quality standards for credentialing organizations."
- Public Health Competencies
- Council on Linkages Between Academia and Public Health Practice. Refining and Validating Competencies: A Proposal for Next Steps. Feb 23, 1998 Available
- The Pew Health Professions Commission
- "The Pew Health Professions Commission assists educational institutions and workforce policy makers produce health care workers who meet the changing needs of the American health care system." Available http://futurehealth.ucsf.edu/pewcomm.html
- Accreditation System Obsolete for Doctors, Nurses, Other Health Professionals
- Press Release on accreditation of health professionals. Available http://futurehealth.ucsf.edu/press_releases/accred.html
- Critical Challenges: Executive Summary
- Executive Summary. Critical Challenges:
Revitalizing the Health Professions for the Twenty-First Century. Available http://futurehealth.ucsf.edu/summaries/challenges.html
- Scholarly articles from a wide range of sources.
- Wilson, Noel. (May 22,1998) Educational Standards and the Problem of Error. Educational Policy Analysis Archive. Vol 6. Number 10 Available http://olam.ed.asu.edu/epaa/v6n10/c18.htm
- Building IT competency
- Hoffer, Erin Rae. Building IT competency.
Computerworld. Online features. 7/21/97 Available computerworld.com/home/online9697.nsf/all/970721hoffer
- Variety of resources that relate to competency
- Key education competencies
- A report on the key competencies for education in Australia. Available
- competency based pay
- Competency Based Pay: Can It Help Your Company? A Presentation to Colorado Human Resource Association's Compensation Resource Group. Hoyt W. Doyel, CCP, SPHR Effective Compensation, Incorporated . Lakewood, Colorado February 2, 1995 Available